Guide to Health Benefits of Watermelon

Watermelon is made up of almost 92% water, which makes it a great food for dieters. The other 8% of watermelon is loaded with lycopene. Lycopene is a super antioxidant that protects the heart, prostate and skin.

There are many other health benefits of watermelon. Watermelon is loaded with:


Citrulline relaxes blood vessels, much like Viagra, and is said to treat erectile dysfunction and possibly prevent it. Citrulline is also good for heart health, helps support the immune system, aids in obesity and treats Type 2 Diabetes. Studies have shown that citrulline may also be beneficial for sickle cell disease.

Citrulline converts to arginine through enzymes made by the body.


Arginine is an amino acid that helps promote cell division, aids in wound healing and helps ammonia leave the body. Arginine also promotes heart health and the cardiovascular system. Arginine is found in higher concentrations in the rind of the watermelon, but is also found in high concentration in the meaty fruit.

Arginine causes an increase in nitric oxide in the body.

Nitric oxide:

Nitric oxide increases the blood flow to the heart, which increases circulation throughout the body. This decreases incidences of angina, decreases high blood pressure and helps other cardiovascular diseases.

Vitamin C and beta-carotene:

Vitamin C and beta-carotene are known to reduce the risk of heart disease, reduce colon cancer risks and reduce some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Beta-carotene and Vitamin C also help reduce airway spasms that occur in people with osteoarthritis.


Fiber is a great supplement for dieting and weight loss. Fiber also helps control diabetes, prevents heart disease and prevents and treats diarrhea and constipation.


Potassium is necessary for the function of the heart. It also is important for bone health, muscle function and normal digestion. Potassium is necessary for all cells, tissues and organs in the body.

Vitamin A:

Vitamin A is important for eye health. It also converts to retinoic acid, which is good for normal healthy skin. Vitamin A is needed to form and maintain the health of teeth, the skeletal and soft tissue in the body and mucous membranes and skin.

Vitamin B6:

Vitamin B6 helps form red blood cells, breaks down protein in the body and maintains normal nerve function. Vitamin B6 is also necessary for the immune system. It helps the immune system form antibodies, which are necessary to fight disease.

As a super-food, watermelon seems to have it all. There continues to be much research on watermelon to find more health benefits. Researchers believe that they will find many more health benefits of watermelon through more studies and research.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *